So, you want to be a gasfitter? Can you:
- Working with your hands
- Working indoors and out
- Putting your physical fitness to good use
- Work with other tradies and customers.
What do Gasfitters do?
- Install, commission, maintain, test, alter, repair and service a gas system in any building.
- Preparing and studying drawings and specifications
- Finding and marking positions for connections, then cutting holes through walls and floors to accommodate pipes
- Measuring pipes and marking cutting or bending lines
- Cutting, threading and bending pipes, assembling and installing piping, valves and fittings, joining pipe sections and securing pipes
- Installing plumbing fixtures
- Maintaining and repairing plumbing systems
How do I become a Gasfitter?
Firstly, you will need to do some work experience so that you know what the job is about. I you think it’s for you, find an employer that is looking for an apprentice gasfitter. You will then become an apprentice gasfitter and will you will complete a certificate III in Gasfitter at a Registered Training Organisation (RTO).
Once you have completed the four year apprenticeship, you will be a qualified tradie!
Once you are a tradie in the construction industry, you can continue working for small or large companies and move into leading hand, supervising or management positions. You might even want to start your own business and employ apprentices yourself. Some tradies even go on to further education to complete courses from Certificate IV to bachelor level. There are plenty of options for qualified Gasfitters.